New Member Process
Potential New Member Bill of Rights
The Potential New Member Bill of Rights from NPC’s Manual of Information:
• The right to be treated as an individual.
• The right to be fully informed about the recruitment process.
• The right to ask questions and receive true and objective answers.
• The right to be treated with respect.
• The right to have and express opinions to Recruitment Counselors.
• The right to have inviolable confidentiality when sharing information with Recruitment Counselors.
• The right to make informed choices without undue pressure from others.
• The right to be fully informed about the binding agreement implicit in the preference card.
• The right to make one’s own choice and decision and accept full responsibility for the results.
• The right to have a positive, safe, and enriching recruitment and new membership experience.
New Member Process and Initiation
New members spend time learning about the chapter’s history and values before becoming a fully initiated member. During this time, active members take time to get to know the new members and teach them about the benefits of Greek life. Each chapter has a mentor program, often referred to as “Big Sisters.” Each new member will received a big sister and mentor to guide them through the new member process before initiation. Initiation is a ceremony at the end of the new member period in which new members become active members of their chapters.